Football fans are being asked to arrive in good time tomorrow if they are planning to watch England’s crucial last 16 World Cup clash against Columbia on Millennium Square’s big screen.
With excitement in the country reaching fever pitch, and a very big crowd expected on Millennium Square, fans are being reminded on the rules of entry to the square. This will help ensure that everyone in attendance can have an enjoyable and safe experience cheering on Gareth Southgate and the boys as they aim for World Cup glory.
As previous England World Cup games, a strict no alcohol policy will be in place during all match screenings, and with crowd numbers set to increase, in the interest of safety, all young people aged 16 years and under must now be accompanied by an adult.
Supporters are advised that gates for each England match will open approximately 1 ½ hours before kick-off. Anyone wishing to attend, are asked to arrive early in order to secure their places as admission will be on a strictly first-come-first-served basis until the capacity is reached. No tickets will be issued or required and the outdoor arena will also feature toilet facilities, a limited amount of covered and picnic style seating together with a selection of street food outlets.
The leader of Leeds City Council Councillor Judith Blake said:
“England’s World Cup campaign has certainly captured the imagination of the whole country, and we are set for what looks like a very big crowd on Millennium Square for the match against Columbia.
“With the prospect of a large crowd, we are asking people to arrive in good time to avoid disappointment and to help ensure that everyone has a safe and fun time, also requesting that fans please note our entry conditions to avoid any disappointment.”
- Admission is on a strictly first-come-first-served basis. No-one will be admitted once safe capacity is reached.
- This is an event open to all ages. Certain elements may not be suitable for very young children and parental discretion is advised. All children aged 16 years and under must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or over).
- Strictly no alcohol, glass, cans or plastic bottles are permitted.
- Searching is a condition of entry to protect your safety and that of other visitors. We may conduct security searches of clothing, bags and other items, at our reasonable discretion, including on entry and exit.
- The organisers reserve the right to refuse admission or eject any persons for anti-social or threatening behaviour, actions likely to cause damage or injury, or those that are intoxicated through alcohol or illegal substances.