Sporting stars inspire at Leeds schools conference
Education professionals from across Leeds will be inspired by sporting stars and nationally recognised speakers at a conference aimed at encouraging more physical activity in schools, tomorrow (20 October 2016).
Inspirational guest speakers, including Ali Oliver, CEO Youth Sport Trust, Ronnie Heath, Managing Director of Create Development and Jon Smedley from Maths of the Day will be sharing their advice and expertise to around 100 delegates from schools around Leeds.
The conference will be followed by an awards ceremony hosted by Leeds own Olympic silver medal winning triathlete Jonathan Brownlee with awards presented by Olympic gold medal winning diver Jack Laugher and his City of Leeds diving teammate Yona Knight-Wisdom and Leeds Rhinos’ Stevie Ward.
The conference and awards ceremony, hosted by ‘Active Schools Leeds’, is being held at the John Charles Centre for Sport and will be an opportunity for the delegates to share good practice, gather information and resources and celebrate the work of Active Schools Leeds and its partners.
- Where: John Charles Centre for Sport Bowls and Athletics Centre LS11 5DJ
- When: Thursday 20th September (programme details below)
- Members of the media are invited to attend the Active Schools Leeds conference or awards ceremony, to photograph, film, and interview the organisers, speakers and performers.
If you wish to attend please contact Mark Nye on 07702320025
As well as gaining knowledge and inspiration from the keynote speakers, the delegates will also have the opportunity to connect with national and local exhibitors at a marketplace event, as well as being entertained by performances from talented Leeds pupils.
The aims of the Active Schools Leeds programme is to develop a skilled workforce that can, through collaboration and partnership, deliver, influence and promote high quality physical activity, PE and sport in schools. It also intends to influence children and young people and their families to develop physically active habits for life and support all children and young people to lead physically active, healthy lives with a focus on participation, fun and enjoyment. The partnership also hopes to help raise achievement and attainment in and through PE and sport.
Programme highlights include:
- 1.35pm Ali Oliver, CEO Youth Sport Trust The latest national strategies from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport; Sport England; the Department for Education and the Department of Health and why they are important to schools.
- 2.30pm Andy Smith, Senior Lecturer in Sport, Physical Activity and Health, Leeds Beckett University, Dr Tom Quarmby, Senior Lecturer in PE & Sport Pedagogy, Leeds Beckett University and Ian Holmes, Head Teacher at Thorner CE Primary School – how this agenda can impact on success for schools and practical examples of how schools can meet their accountability.
- 3.45pm School Performance by Holy Trinity Primary School
- 4.30pm Ronnie Heath, Managing Director of Create Development. Finding ways to include, engage, challenge and support learners better.
- 5.45 – 8.00pm Awards Dinner – Hosted by Jonny Brownlee, with awards presented by Jack Laugher, Stevie Ward and Yona Knight-Wisdom.
The Active Schools conference and awards is sponsored by the Leeds Rugby Foundation, with Maths of the Day, Leeds United Foundation, Create Development, Leeds Beckett University, ESP and Mondale Events.