Unsung heroes wanted for citywide community awards
Nominations are now open for Leeds City Council’s first ever Compassionate City Awards, which are set to take place this December.
Anyone wishing to nominate individuals, communities and or organisations who always put others first and deserve to be recognised for their efforts in the local area, has until 20 October to submit their choice.
The Compassionate City Awards are an opportunity to recognise the positive work that people and organisations do every day to help make Leeds and their local communities a great place to live, work and visit. These can help improve the lives of the people of Leeds and helping to make Leeds the best city in the UK: creating solidarity between communities to tackle poverty and inequality. The awards ceremony takes place on 7 December at Leeds Civic Hall.
Nominations must evidence how over the previous 12 months, an individual, organisation or project has:
- Helped to tackle poverty
- Reduced inequalities and disadvantage
- Improved community involvement or volunteering activities
- Identified new and innovative ways of delivering projects or providing support
- Worked with other people or organisations to deliver a project or improve service delivery
- Created more cohesive and integrated communities and improved resilience
- Worked with communities to improve outcomes or with an exceptional event or emergency
- Demonstrated value for money
- Supported cultural or celebratory events
Councillor Debra Coupar, Leeds City Council’s executive member for communities said:
“I am delighted that the first ever Compassionate City Awards are being held this December to recognise the efforts of people working at a grassroots level.
This is a great chance to highlight the important and positive work that individuals, community groups and organisations do to go above and beyond and to make Leeds a great place to live and work. There are plenty of unsung heroes who work endlessly to make Leeds a fantastic city and it is time to give them recognition for their efforts.”
For further details of the award categories and nomination process please visit: http://www.leeds.gov.uk