As Christmas approaches, many of us are preparing for it to look a little different this year.
For families facing childhood cancer, Christmas can already be a difficult time and this year in particular, these difficulties are likely to be felt even more acutely.
A child’s Christmas should be a time free of care and worry, spending precious time with family and friends, making special memories and having fun. But the harsh reality facing many of our children and their families this year is a Christmas of anxiety, isolation and financial hardship. This year, Candlelighters are asking you to name a star to help us continue to support our families over this festive period.
Five-year-old Hannah was first diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia when she was just 11 months old and relapsed again in 2019. After the extreme challenges faced by Hannah and her family this year, it is more important than ever that Hannah gets the Christmas she deserves.
Hannah’s mum, Allison, told us, “Last year, our Christmas Day was spent watching Hannah laying in an induced coma with a ventilator helping her to breathe. The nurses gave us their Christmas dinner, we ate it out of a polystyrene container. The screens we watched showed Hannah’s vitals. We brought over gifts from home ‘just in case’, they sat unopened. We spent Christmas Day heartbroken”.
This Christmas we are asking you to help families like Hannah’s by making a donation to name a star in celebration of someone who brings light to your life.
There are many reasons to name one of our stars this Christmas and bring light to families during these darkest of times. You might like to:
- Say thank you to someone that has supported you this year.
- Support a child (or children) affected by childhood cancer.
- Recognise your business support of Candlelighters.
- Thank a colleague or your staff team.
- Dedicate a star in memory of someone you have lost.
- Recognise the amazing key workers and all their hard work this year.
- Name a star as a Christmas gift for someone special.
There are five special varieties of star to name and these stars will shine bright on our very own virtual skyline. When you name one of our stars, the star will light up and will display the name of the star, your chosen message, and a photo if you wish.
Make the stars shine bright this Christmas… 🌟 Name a star for anyone & any reason – it's a celebration of someone who has brought light to your life. By naming a star, you ensure we can keep bringing light to the lives of children affected by cancer. https://t.co/jowh6TwdDP pic.twitter.com/hSpY6eHVxa
— Candlelighters Trust (@CandlelightersT) November 9, 2020
At Candlelighters, we support families facing children’s cancer in Yorkshire. We get involved in all sorts of different projects to help ordinary families who are facing extraordinary circumstances. Candlelighters is a big family where everybody has an important role to play. Here are some of the people who help make it all happen. Our values are very important to us. They’re what we believe in, what we stand by and what makes us who we are.
We are determined to defeat cancer:
- To fight cancer, improve treatment and find cures.
- To improve the experience of young patients.
- To deliver on our promises and programmes.
- To be here for the long haul and stand shoulder to shoulder with families.
We value integrity:
- We are transparent in all that we do.
- We are open and honest.
- We are driven by empathy for our patients and families.
We believe in fun:
- Helping make fun memories for our patients and families.
- Making everyday as positive as it can be.
- Making fun a value in our workplace.
We believe in flexibility:
- We are adaptable to face the challenges of every day.
- We change when appropriate because we want to be the best we can,
- We don’t just debate, we make things happen.
We are engaging:
- We communicate clearly with our patients, families and fundraisers.
- In life and death situations, we add as much life as we can.
- We are always ready to listen.
On the wards, at our family support centre or in the community, Candlelighters Supports Children and families from across Yorkshire. Candlelighters is a big family. And like any family, we look after each other. Anyone touched by children’s cancer in Yorkshire, no matter how long ago, is considered a member. Our job? To bring this family together and make sure each person can get the support they need, whether that’s a funded holiday, or just a cup of tea and a chat. See below to find out more about where you can find us.
For more information about Candlelighters please visit www.candlelighters.org.uk or follow us for the latest updates on Facebook at @CandlelightersTrust and on Twitter @CandlelightersT email: email@example.com or call 0113 322 9283. We at Candlelighters appreciate you taking the time to speak to us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. If you would like to send a cheque, please make it payable to Candlelighters and send it to us at 8 Woodhouse Square, Leeds, LS3 1AD. Thank You.
Your donations make a difference to children fighting cancer and their families across our region. Make a donation today and help us to offer vital support www.candlelighters.org.uk
Will you support Candlelighters by naming your own Candlelighters Star? You can see the generous people who have named their stars below and click here to name your own www.visufund.com/candlelighters-stars